28.5.09

A hot review from the USA


Product Review: Golf Refugees’ Black Balls280509

Golf Refugees' black ball, on the tee at the 18th at Chambers Bay
I found Golf Refugees through Twitter and after doing some research on the company’s black golf ball, became intrigued. Like most golfers I’d love twenty more yards off the tee and this ball promised it, plus touch around the greens, mostly because of its unique heat-absorbing black cover. According to the guys at Golf Refugees, due to its color, the ball absorbs more sunlight, making it both longer and softer on hot, sunny days. And easier to see in the air.
It sounded too good to be true, and seemed a leap for a Titleist Pro-V1 boy, but also was worth investigating. I reached out with goodwill accross the pond, as Golf Refugees is based in the UK, and before I knew it was in possession of a sleeve of black golf balls. The company wanted me to put their new balls to the test.
Non-Scientific Performance Test: Recently, while reviewing the 7,106-yard Chambers Bay on a bright and sunny day, I was playing well and thought it a great time to test out the black ball. I broke one out of my bag and warmed it in the sun on my push-cart for a couple of holes, turning it occasionally. We were playing the nine’s in reverse, having tee’d off on hole 10, and I decided the 541-yard par-5 18th (our 9th) would prove as the perfect proving ground.
The black ball was actually warm when I put it on the tee. It looked cool. And it went a mile!
The drive I hit on hole 18 was probably the best of the day, laser-beam straight, and probably 30-yards longer than normal. I then hit a hybrid from 235-yards to the back of the green, about 40-feet from the hole. Maybe there was something to this ball! It felt soft enough with the long game.

The black ball, in service on the 18th green at Chambers Bay
But then I three-putted for par. I’m a bad putter though, I had thought at the time. Not the ball’s fault.
Then on the 491-yard 1st hole (our 10th), I smashed another drive with the black ball, and again it felt good off the club face. And again I put another approach within 40-feet. And yet again, I three-putted, this time for bogey.
On the 2nd and 3rd holes I missed each green, and thanks to good chip shots made par. The black ball felt pretty soft with the wedge and each time I was left with two-footers to get up-and-down.
On the 4th I stuck a wedge approach about 12-feet away, and below the hole. The black ball had produced yet another shot at birdie! And this time it was makeable. After sizing up the putt with confidence, I rammed the black ball four-feet past the hole, way offline, and was lucky to make the putt coming back for par.
Back in the bag the hot ball went. And out came the trusty Titleist. And with it came a birdie on the 465-yard, par-4 5th hole. Granted, I hit three perfect shots on the 5th, but the result was telling, considering I drained a tough, 20-foot putt.

Chipping: the black ball passed the test on this tough chip on the 2nd at Chambers Bay
I’m not bagging on the black ball at all here. I think it is an amazing product, but better suited to player’s not used to putting with buttery Titleists’. It’s as soft as it needs to be for me everywhere but the putting green. It goes a mile, spins like mad on the greens, chips well and is actually easier to see in the air (but not on the ground). Plus, there’s a lower-case ‘r’ logo on the ball, which I thought was super cool.
In terms of price Golf Refugees black ball is much cheaper than the Pro-V1, and almost fits into the bargain-ball category. A dozen balls only cost $25, plus shipping. For that price, they are definitely worth a shot.
Technically speaking, the black ball incorporates Thermal Distance Technology, an icosahedral dimple pattern, 2-piece construction, and an abrasion-resistant soft cover . It is both R&A and USGA compliant.
Check out at http://www.golf-refugees.com/index.html
---------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment