8.5.09

FindTheFairways.com review


So I’m searching the net for a few new golfing bits and I come across Golf Refugees. I’ve heard of them before but never really had a chance to have a look through their range.
I really like the company as they’re not your traditional stuffy country-club brand. They’re a relatively new and exciting golf wear and golf ball company that offer something out of the ordinary. Funky designs that you can wear on or off the course with pride.
A lot of the major brands are starting to go down this route now and are bringing high-fashion to the world of golf. It’s about time too but Golf Refugees are a brand that were always like that from the very start.
They launched the company with the Black Golf Ball, a totally unique distance ball that heats up on a sunny day making the ball more elastic which gives you a few extra yards. Whether it’s a genius idea or a bloody stupid one I’ll leave up to you to decide but it’s definitely a fun idea.
We had a go with the Black Ball recently on a very sunny day and you really can squeeze a few extra yards from them. They’re not the easiest things to find in the rough but we didn’t lose one (which is unique for us I can tell you.) After a full 18 holes, the ball was still in reasonable condition too which is more than can be said for my usual brand of ball.
Now, all this is fine but what I really want to talk about is the clothing range. Not only is it funky, up to date and likely to annoy some stuffy member somewhere, it’s also eco-friendly. It ticks all the boxes.
When I say eco-friendly, I really mean it. All of Golf Refugees t-shirts are manufactured using renewable energy generated purely from wind and solar power. In fact, the Carbon Trust says that its large men’s t-shirts cut CO2 emissions by a whopping 89%. The company also uses organic cotton certified by the Soil Association in all its offerings. Now that’s a great thing to hear.
Don’t get me wrong, I couldn’t be less “Eco” if I tried but I do feel increasingly guilty about that. We know how to make the world a cleaner place, we have the technology and the money and all the tools so in my opinion we have a duty to do it, regardless of whether or not you believe the global warming argument.
So it got me thinking. How eco-friendly are Nike’s t-shirts? Adidas or RBK? Ping, Callaway or any of the others. You know what - I don’t know. I can’t find any information about it and what does that tell you…they’re probably not eco in the slightest. If they were, they’d be shouting about it, you know they would. I stand to be corrected but it seems pretty clear cut.
It’s not going to change my life or anything but when faced with a decision on where I spend my next £30 on a new golf shirt, I can’t help but be drawn to a brand like Golf Refugees. Not only will I be able to piss-off the old codgers but I’ll also be able to do it knowing that I’ve done a bit for mother earth and therefore, the golf course I’m playing on.
My only gripe with the brand is the usual, they don’t do big enough sizes which winds me up. Still, they’re a new brand so let’s see what the future holds. If you want a decent shirt and a clear conscience you won’t go wrong with the Golf Refugees.
---------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment